Monday, March 10, 2008

new paintings


It was a good season traveling to the Antarctic Peninsula aboard the Marco Polo ship... my 6th year on board as lecturer and official artist in residence. Now that the ship has been sold, this will have been the last season. I enjoyed working with a wonderful expedition team for my six seasons on that ship. But I will be doing other trips to many interesting places, and will keep you posted.

In the meantime, there are several new Antarctic paintings on the the Antarctic page of my website. Included are some of Emperor penguins. I had spent time with many of these huge penguins during my previous stay on the Ross Sea side of Antarctica. This year we were surprised by one Emperor as they are rarely seen on that part of the Peninsula. It was mid January when it jumped out of the surf onto the rocks and wandered among the Gentoo Penguins at Port Lockroy. It was the fattest, plumpest Emperor I had ever seen! Apparently it had put on a nice layer of blubber to get ready for molting, when it would go a long time without eating. Seeing it was a real treat, and a great send off for our last season aboard the Marco Polo!

No comments: